2019. július 30., kedd

Religious Trauma Syndrome

Hi All,



This week I found out about Religious Trauma Syndrome (RTS) and figured I would do some research and share. Maybe it can help someone, I hope!


Why am I doing this?


I was a Jehovah's witness for 10,5 years. I joined when I was 5 and exited when I was 15 and a half.
During those years my family who didn't study constantly degraded and ignored me and basically shunned me. Once I woke up it was hard to cope and I want to help others so that they might have an easier time handling the process. I am also one for research and bettering myself so I thought doing some of that and sharing the results would be nice.




What is Religious Trauma Syndrome?



Religious Trauma Syndrome (RTS) is a function of both the chronic abuses of harmful religion and the impact of severing one’s connection with one’s faith and faith community. It can be compared to a combination of PTSD and Complex PTSD (C-PTSD). In the last article of this series, I explained some of the toxic aspects of authoritarian religions that cause long-term psychological damage (Bible-based ones in particular). With PTSD, a traumatic event is one in which a person experiences or witnesses actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of self or others. Losing one’s faith, or leaving one’s religion, is an analogous event because it essentially means the death of one’s previous life – the end of reality as it was understood. It is a huge shock to the system and one that needs to be recognized as trauma.


RTS as a complex PTSD: 

The definition of Complex PTSD is interesting in light of religious indoctrination: ‘a psychological injury that results from protracted exposure to prolonged social and/or interpersonal trauma with lack or loss of control, disempowerment, and in the context of either captivity or entrapment, i.e. the lack of a viable escape route for the victim’ (Wikipedia). Small children who are subjected to toxic religious teachings and practices are trapped and dependent on their dysfunctional families. Pete Walker (2009) has developed an approach in psychotherapy that considers emotional flashbacks to be the key symptom of Complex PTSD. Because of the prolonged nature of the trauma, he says Complex PTSD can be even more virulent and pervasively damaging in its effects. (Complex PTSD has not yet been included in the DSM; nor has RTS.) This seems to be true for many who have left religion.


What are the symptoms of RTS? 

Depression, fatigue, anxiety, and exhilarating sense or remnant religious guilt. As well as overthinking, but that is a side effect of religion in general when in too. Also the biggest issue with high control groups and leaving is that environment damages one's confidence, and trust in their own intellect, their own decision-making skills. Also, high control groups tend to discourage people from therapy because if you speak to an outsider they may notice signs of behavior and thought control and advise the person seeking help to remove themselves from the group. 

As for me, I was always an anxious person and when I became a witness the glazy-eyed smile made me sweep it under the rug and not mention it. When I woke up it all got worse, and I spent two years in a quasi catatonic state before secretly going to therapy and getting help. 


What causes RTS?


What causes RTS is the dissonance after losing one's faith. It is especially prominent in high control groups such as Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Hutterites. 
Since high control groups control Behavior, Information, Thought, and Emotion (As noted in Steven Hassan's BITE Model) the sense of betrayal and loss of identity can cause a major break in a person. They also isolate people and make their social network dependent on their faith or attendance to meetings.  
After leaving, many end up being angry and jaded, while some find other religions such as Catholicism or Baptist branches. Depending on how much time they spent in the high control group the feeling of betrayal, and feeling of wasted youth. When I left I became jaded and dived nose first into researching the history of Jehovah's Witnesses and deprogramming myself. I also sought help in therapy and made new friends independently from religion.



Why is RTS so hard to diagnose, and get help for?


RTS is a relatively invisible issue. For example, my family never offered any help, even though they did know Jehovah's Witnesses is a cult. This is an all too common issue, as families inside high control groups tend to practice shunning. Families, like mine, outside of the religion did not grasp the severity of thought-stopping I employed to keep up my faith. I was always a person with a passionate curiosity and I always ask many questions and wanted the picture to have logic, and sadly it didn't which caused me so much dissonance and deflection when asked questions. I was always interested in biology, psychology, and sciences and they always reprimanded me for it. I also had an interest in languages and writing which I was made guilty about because they are worldly talents and interests that don't benefit Jehovah and the organization (which is one and the same, make no mistake) 
You see the issue with RTS is that it is not a specific set of triggers that make the person feel better. It is also an underdocumented and researched affliction. Recently there has been a call for more attention to be paid to religions and their impact on mental health. My experience with Christianity is that they place focus on guilt, confessing to "impure or worldly" thoughts and eternal punishment if a follower doesn't comply. 


How to cope with RTS?

Doing research on what is causing you the dissonance and getting professional psychiatric counseling is the best way to go around relieving the dissonance. Talking to friends and family about one's feelings and findings can also help to make them feel better, as with any mental health issue. Finding people with a similar experience who understand you and with whom you can have an honest conversation.


I hope you found this little snippet useful and don't forget, curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back!



Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése